Monday, July 24, 2006

Another Quote

I just returned from Montreal checking out the Just for Laugh's festival there. It was extremely cool. Just to the left here, you will see my sister, Missy, and my niece (my other sister, Becca's daughter), dancing in the street at the festival wearing lovely headpieces. I am altogether really happy with the photos I got during the few weeks my sister Becca and her daughter, Arianne were here visiting from Hong Kong.

So, I have another quote from that book I am currently reading by Donald Miller. Please do let me know your thoughts on it if you feel so inclined:

"If I weren't a Christian, and I kept seeing Christian leaders on television more concerned with money, fame, and power than with grace, love, and social justice, I wouldn't want to believe in God at all. I really wouldn't. The whole thing would make me want to walk away from religion altogether because, like I was saying about Santa Claus, their god must be an idiot to see the world in such a one-sided way. The god who cares so much about getting rich must not have treasures stored up in heaven, and the god so concerned about getting even must not have very much patience, and the god who cares so much about the West must really hate the rest of the world, and that doesn't sound like a very good god to me. The televangelist can him for all I care."

4 comments:

NathanColquhoun said...

Gotta love Christians that can be honest with themselves.

My Great Uncle isn't a Christian, and he could have written the exact same thing from how he sees it.

Anonymous said...

1. TV priests are more interesting to watch than a 1 hr sermon by the Pope.

2.If these are the only voices of Christianity then it makes it easier to belittle and dismiss it in the Media.

3. If TV is our only source for information about religion then we are all in a sorry sorry state.

4. If Jesus was on TV today he would definitely be classified as a crazy. Healing people etc would probably still seem fake, even if it was real.

Just my thoughts... or lack of them
-=- Whitey -=-

Andrew said...

Hey Whitey....thanks for checking out the Blog....how are you anyway? Still shooting? What are you up to?

In response to....

1. I totally agree.

2. This is the problem, and you're right. It sucks that the general public's only idea of what Christianity is, is based on these kooks.

3. True enough....tv sucks (except for Discovery Channel)

4. I agree to an end. I guess I just don't think Jesus would go on TV today. If he were around physically today and healed, I think it would be a personal thing, and not a media spectacle. I think you're right though....people today would think it was fake even if it was real. It's a good thing He didn't wait until now to do His thing.

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd put my two cents in. I've thought a lot about theses things for the past five years and I've finally come to some sort of place where everything seems to be settling. I've worked through many of the problems with religion I've encountered and have managed to find a way to allow my social conscience and faith to complementary rather than antagonisitic. Many times I have almost reasoned myself out of faith, not on the grounds that God doesn't exist, but more as a result of "Christian" attitudes and behaviour. It always came back to my heart though. I could never reconcile my new intellectual arguments with what I knew was true in my heart so it was always back to the drawing board. All this to say, best of luck with your exploration.