Thursday, August 24, 2006

Scammers be Warned!

I heard news recently that a photographer comrade from the same town that I work in was the target of a Nigerian scammer. I found it interesting being a photographer myself, and having never heard of small, local photographers being targeted. The guy told her to photograph his wedding (or something) in London england and he would pay for everything. She just got into the business and was of course extremely excited about it, knowing that other photographers (like myself) are often given similar opportunities. He turned out to be a scammer, and it all fell through. Too bad for her, but a good lesson was learned.

It got me interested in the whole thing and made me wonder why I often hear Nigeria in connection with spam scams and other fraud cases. I did a little googling and came across some interesting stats. Basically, Nigeria is considered one of the most corrupt nations on earth, and fraud constitutes an estimated 5 Billion US dollars annually, making scam the third largest industry in the country! I got this information from this site.

I came across this awesome site where this woman plays their game and makes them spend money on their fake money orders. She has recieved almost $400,000 US in fake dough! Please check out the correspondance she had with one lady here having her convinced that she should sell her some 'garden wolves'. It's pretty funny.

Anyways, be warned and don't get scammed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone mailed me about a photography scam like that as well only this time it was for me to fly somewhere in upstate New York. Schenectedy or some such. Needless to say, I didn't really buy it. Had he been a little smoother with the marketing I might have been tempted.

NathanColquhoun said...

I just spent the last three hours on that website, that was the funniest thing i've ever seen. thank-you oh thank-you for posting that, i absolutly loved it.